Women’s Legal Resources Centre (WOLREC) is a women’s rights Non-governmental organization based in Blantyre. WOLREC is housed at Namiwawa, Magasa Avenue, Plot 26. WOLREC was registered under the Trustees Incorporation Act (1962) in 2006 and became operational the same year. WOLREC’s mission is to facilitate increased access to legal, socio-political and economic justice for women and girls in Malawi.
WOLREC is guided by the following objectives
- To promote awareness of the legal and human rights of females with a view of curtailing gender-based violence, abuses relating to reproductive rights, cultural imbalances that disadvantage females, enhance female empowerment etc.
- To provide legal aid and assistance to women and girls in Malawi.
- To provide and identify economic opportunities for women for the advancement of their lives.
- To lobby and advocate for gender equality, good governance, democracy, transparency, accountability and corruption free society.
- To consolidate democratic and local governance values as they affect females.
- To conduct research on matters affecting women and girls in Malawi.
A society in which women’s rights are recognised, respected and protected.
To facilitate increased access to legal, socio-political and economic justice for women and girls in Malawi.
Our Core Values
WOLREC believes in and upholds the following values:
- Empowerment of vulnerable groups especially girls and women
- Gender Equity and Equality
- Respect for human rights
- Transparency and accountability
Major Activities Implemented by Women’s Legal Resources Centre
- Capacity development of rights holders and duty bearers on human rights and gender issues
- Facilitating access to legal assistance and services to rural and peri-urban women and girls
- Information, Education and Communication on gender and human rights issues using the edutainment model
- Behavioural change interventions on eradication of harmful cultural and traditional practices
- Research on human rights and gender
- Economic literacy and empowerment of women
- Local and national advocacy on human rights and gender issues.
WOLREC delivers on three result areas that have been prioritized in all the projects and these are:
- Reduced gender based violence as well as practices which perpetuate them;
- Improved women’s participation in decision making proccesses; and
- Reduced women’s and adolescent girls vulnerability to HIV and AIDS
- Improved economic well-being of women.